Create interactive, customizable maps right in your web browser.
This map service, formerly known as CartoDB, offers a wide range of features:
- Choose from free base maps
- Connect your cloud storage
- Customize the map interface & legends
- Write your own CSS rules for your map
- Pick between several types of map layers
- Create filters for your data
- Preview on Desktop & Mobile
- Plus: It’s free!
Well, only the basic package is free, but it provides all the features you need to get started.
If you don’t have the data, but would like to play around a little, CARTO provides several dozen datasets in their “Data Library”.
You could also, for example, create an empty map, search for your hometown and draw the outline of a building using the polygon tool. The result is a filled area that you can further describe and add data to.
You can also map temporal data to show progression over time, for example of volcanic eruptions, or a local hotspot of traffic accidents. This is just one tiny example of the possibilities this platform offers.
You can find the dataset used in the screenshot here.